How to Throw a Football Party Like a Pro
The leaves are turning, the air is getting crisper, that can only mean one thing: Fall is just around the corner. And, with fall, comes football. Football games bring together families and friends who want to root for their favorite teams. Get-togethers and football parties are an absolute must in the fall. There are the definite essentials that you need for any tailgate or football party. The first few being the proper set up to watch or stream the game, the decorations, and, most importantly, the food.
First let’s start off with some great game day decorations that will make your get-together truly memorable. Most of these are DIY and are perfect to use for future football parties.
- Football Party Mason Jars - These are great to hold utensils, napkins and other essentials for your food table. The great thing about painting your mason jars are that you can paint them in your favorite team’s colors, make them a football, paint a game plan on them or even dress them up as a referee! These make a cute addition to any table and a perfect way to show your team spirit.
- Football Party Food Labels - make football shaped picks that make it easy for your guests to know what each dish of food is. It’s festive and practical!
- Football Field Party Table - this is a great way to kick up the festive attitude with a gridiron table dressing! This makes your table that neatly has all your snacks and food laid out look that much more appealing! It’s a super cute and fun idea and the best part is it leads to a quick and easy clean up at the end of the night!
- Game Day Paper Chain - This is perfect for any game day party. The best way to complete this is to grab some brown and white construction paper and make little footballs with the brown construction paper and interlock the footballs with the white construction paper. These can be used to decorate anywhere you desire. It’s a fun and inexpensive way to make your party football ready!
- Astroturf Yard Line Bunting and Coaster - Use some astroturf scraps to make a yard line bunting to hang wherever you please, it makes a great addition to any football themed party. Another great idea is to use the astroturf scraps for coasters. You can make them yard lines as well and they are a great and festive way for your guests to place their drinks!
The next item up for a perfect football party is the games. You want to make sure that you keep your guests entertained during commercial breaks and halftime. There is no better way to entertain them than having these three games ready. A lot of fun will be had and your guests will enjoy every minute of your football party.
- Football Commercial Bingo - This is a great game to continue throughout the football game and for the duration of your party. It’s also great because you can create your own BINGO card or there are many templates you can find online. You choose different companies commercials and when they come up during the commercial break you mark them on your bingo sheet! It’s a great way to keep guests entertained through the commercial breaks.
- Rate the Commercial - this is geared more towards a Super Bowl party, as there are specific commercials made for that game, but it would work for any football game. Give your guests paddles or popsicle sticks or whatever you would like to use, and have everyone rate the commercials on a scale of 1 to 5. It’s bound to lead to laughs and fun.
- Bean Bag Toss (Cornhole) - this game is a staple to any football party. It’s fun, it’s a team game and it’s great to play during halftime. There are ways to make your own or you can buy an already made set. The game consists of two wood or plastic platforms with a hole in it on either side and guests have four bean bags to toss and score points. It’s a load of fun and will make your football party one of the best.
Now, on to the most important part of any football party, the food! Food is so important when it comes to a football party. You should, of course, provide a meal (we are offering some great specials this season). But, on top of that, you might want fun appetizers and lighter meals because your guests will most likely want to snack and eat throughout the game. Here are some of the most have snacks at any football party.
- Mini Pigs in a Blanket - Another staple of any football party is pigs in a blanket and while these are a more simple dish, they are a crowd pleaser. Make them even more on-theme by making them shaped like little footballs.
- Meatballs - These are a great comfort food and a great way to appeal to all your guest’s tastes. Meatballs are great for a chilly fall day spent watching football.
- Corn Salsa and Chips - While suggesting corn salsa, any salsa that appeals to you can be used. Chips and salsa is a great snack to have and compliments any other appetizers or hors d'oeuvres you may have selected for your party.
- Hot Dip - now hot dip is a general term, but that’s because there are many types of hot dips you can choose from, such as spinach artichoke, but as long as you have some type of hot dip your guests will be happy. It’s an excellent snacking food to have available for your guests and something they can continue to munch on throughout the game and party.
These are just some suggestions that will help you to have a wonderful and fun football party. Whether you are watching a big game, such as the Super Bowl, or just having a small get-together with friends and family, any combination of the above will make for a fun and delicious football party. And one that will be remembered. So, this Fall, get your team’s jersey out, dust it off, and enjoy football season with a football party!